Monday, January 16, 2012

Eliya's Pre-Ghana Sendoff

I’m cuddled with Sivana in my bed in Los Angeles feeling as cozy as can be. Just been through some pretty thoroughly shaking waves of nervousness and excitement- culminating in a frenzied but productive packing session with the help of my wonderful mother and packing princess Maggie Thornton of UCLA (noticing that I’m bringing far more pills and health materials than clothing), with visits from other homies (involving Just Dance 3 and shimmying and, of course, the Birthday Book), and a whopper Google+ encounter with the Nest (both Fall and Spring occupants) and Paul and Thomas. As Sivana saunters off into sleep land beside me, I can’t help but think, “Does life get better?” With such beautiful people in my life right here, right now, it’s hard to believe that taking this 5 month hiatus could be the right choice to make. 


It’s a choice I made, however, so long before this moment; in fact, it was a decision made in Berkeley, under similar cuddled conditions to the one I’m in as I type this instant, but then it was with Roi Bachmutsky. My freshman floormate, my magical “we’re in Berkeley and shit is crazy” whirlwind of a buddy, Roi urged me (extremely in advance) to join him on a Ghana study abroad adventure just about two years ago. I hesitantly gave him a “Maybe” as a place-holder response, thinking to myself that I was in no way prepared to make a decision of the magnitude of studying abroad location at that ripe, impressionable period. Not to say I doubted I’d be friends with Roi later on, and not to say Ghana didn’t’ sound like a good idea…just to say that I had no clue what in the world was going on. 


Years later, right now, I still don’t know what in the world is going on (although I’m happy to say I can, thank goodness, locate where in the world Ghana is- if Africa were to bend it’s little knee, Ghana would be tucked inside of that bend), and I have one backpacking backpack, one regular backpack, and one small duffle (and the token fanny pack, shout out to Leah Samuel in Chile!) all set to take off on Tuesday, January 17. I can tell you what I feel. And what I feel is that I’m teetering on the brink of this oncoming journey, my tippy toe dangling just above the water, so eager but so scared to see how cold it is, to see how my body and mind will adjust to the new conditions. I’m stoked! But I’m terrified. And all of those other mixed feelings. But mostly feeling so extremely privileged to be able to immerse myself in present-ness and opportunity for discovery. Discovery of myself, of those around me, of new cultures and languages and foods and sunrises and greetings and dancing and drumming and joy and movement. 


Here we go, Ghana begin somewhere!




~Eliya

No comments:

Post a Comment